Nov 19, 2010

How To Make A Handmade Heating Pad

Handmade Christmas Gift Idea #6


Many years ago I was given one of my favorite Christmas Gifts. 
A dear neighbor and friend made a heating pad for me.   At first I wondered 
what it was.   She attached a small card which explained how to heat it up.
The first time I used it on my sore back I was in love.
You heat it in the microwave, on high for 2 to 3 minutes
When you take it out, it will be hot.  Hot and moist!
It's the moisture that really makes the difference

They are simple, inexpensive to make and easy to use.

What you'll need: 

Scrap Fabric, sewing machine, rice.


With a rotary cutter or scissors - measure and cut out two rectangular pieces
( Two recommended sizes are  7"x10"  or my favorite  6"x14") 
I prefer the narrow and longer size because it's easier to wrap around my neck
and fits perfectly across my lower back


Pin right sides together and sew, leaving a small opening at the top



trim off each of the four corners, being careful not to cut the seam
Then turn right side out.




Take several pieces of paper and roll them into a funnel. 
Insert the paper funnel into the opening of the bag
Fill with rice


I like to fill mine only about 1/2 full.  Don't fill it more than 3/4 full
or it will not be moldable or as easy to use



Sew the opening closed either by hand, or with a sewing machine. 

You're done!  I made four heating pads with covers in 30 minutes!
I figure they cost about $1.50 each!   

* Option - to make a cover, cut two more pieces- 2 inches larger in with and height - than the actual bag.   Sew 3 sides together and hem the opening.   Now you have a washable cover.   

* I found several references on the internet, recommending using beans instead of rice for the filling.  I tried both.   The beans when heated give off a strong bean smell,  The rice doesn't.  I prefer the rice. 

An added bonus to this gift, is the receiver with think about the giver, each time they use it.
I know I think about my friend and her kindness each time I use mine!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...